Do I need a real estate lawyer?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bolingbrook, IL

I bought a property put it in my mothers name, I live in the property and pay all taxes, bills, and insurance. She said when I was ready she would change the house over to me but she is refusing. This was not a gift. The house is paid off and was bought with my money. She me into putting it in her name. I was young with money and I new i would need a place for my family so I purchased the house for me and my family.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . Asked and answered an hour ago. The new facts do not change the answer.

You were very foolish. Is the home paid for? If not, there is a strong possibility that you are also on title. PLEASE consult with a local real estate attorney who can look into your title records. Fortunately, there are many good lawyers near you.

2. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

1

Answered . If you paid for it and there are no liens on the property you may have a good claim and a good chance at success but you still need to consult with an attorney. You will need to bring an action and get a court order to remove your mother from title. With the proper attorney she may just give in and sign the necessary documents rather than spend thousands trying to claim a legitimate ownership interest.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you need to consult with a real estate attorney who also has a background in litigation.