Do I need a real estate lawyer?

Bolingbrook, IL |

5 years ago I purchased a property and put it in my mothers name because she convinced me that I was too young and irresponsible to have it in my own name. Now I want to switch it over and she is refusing to sign the documents.

You were very foolish. Is the home paid for? If not, there is a strong possibility that you are also on title. Please consult with a local real estate attorney who can look into your title records. Fortunately, there are many good lawyers near you.

Yes the home is paid off from my account

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

If the home is paid for and you are not on title, you could very well be in trouble. You gave your mother a house.

You gave your mother property and now you want it back, but she owns it and does not want to give it to you, right?

There is nothing in the law to force your mother to return the gift after five years.

What am I missing? This is not a case for the courts.

Not a gift I live in the house and pays all bills

Yes you should consult with an attorney immediately. You should have a title search done to see who is on title and what liens exist against the property. You may then wish to commence a quiet title action to determine the rightful owner to the property. There are many facts that need to be explored before an answer can be given as to how to proceed, your chances of success and whether it is worth pursuing. Consult a real estate specialist in your area immediately.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.