Do I need a real estate lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bolingbrook, IL

5 years ago I purchased a property and put it in my mothers name because she convinced me that I was too young and irresponsible to have it in my own name. Now I want to switch it over and she is refusing to sign the documents.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You were very foolish. Is the home paid for? If not, there is a strong possibility that you are also on title. Please consult with a local real estate attorney who can look into your title records. Fortunately, there are many good lawyers near you.

  2. Richard J. Chertock


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes you should consult with an attorney immediately. You should have a title search done to see who is on title and what liens exist against the property. You may then wish to commence a quiet title action to determine the rightful owner to the property. There are many facts that need to be explored before an answer can be given as to how to proceed, your chances of success and whether it is worth pursuing. Consult a real estate specialist in your area immediately.

    This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please... more
  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You gave your mother property and now you want it back, but she owns it and does not want to give it to you, right?

    There is nothing in the law to force your mother to return the gift after five years.

    What am I missing? This is not a case for the courts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,270 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,270 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering