Do I need a real estate lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bolingbrook, IL

5 years ago I purchased a property and put it in my mothers name because she convinced me that I was too young and irresponsible to have it in my own name. Now I want to switch it over and she is refusing to sign the documents.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . You were very foolish. Is the home paid for? If not, there is a strong possibility that you are also on title. Please consult with a local real estate attorney who can look into your title records. Fortunately, there are many good lawyers near you.

2. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you should consult with an attorney immediately. You should have a title search done to see who is on title and what liens exist against the property. You may then wish to commence a quiet title action to determine the rightful owner to the property. There are many facts that need to be explored before an answer can be given as to how to proceed, your chances of success and whether it is worth pursuing. Consult a real estate specialist in your area immediately.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . You gave your mother property and now you want it back, but she owns it and does not want to give it to you, right?

There is nothing in the law to force your mother to return the gift after five years.

What am I missing? This is not a case for the courts.