Do i need a real estate attourney?

Asked about 1 year ago - Elizabethton, TN

My father in-law has a property which is under an assumption of mortgage with a second party, but they have a third party residing there(their daughter). They are not keeping payments current and are ruining his credit. can he legally evict them? and what is the process if so?

1. Arnold Garson Cohen

Pro

2

Answered . Your father-in-law, as owner of the property, needs a lawyer. It is not clear to me whether he owes the mortgage or owns the mortgage. It is unstated whether there is a lease. Those documents should be reviewed by the lawyer in determining how to conduct the eviction. An eviction may be obtained either by the occupier voluntarily leaving the property or by a detainer lawsuit in the county in which the property is located.

2. Celia R Reed

2

Answered . The terms of the assumption of mortgage will set forth your father-in-law's remedies. He needs to contact a real estate attorney as soon as possible.