Do I need a real estate attorney to review my P & S agreement?

Hanover, MA |

I'm trying to buy an apartment in Weymouth, MA and I'm looking for a real estate attorney to help me review the P & S agreement. I would also like to find out the average cost for such service.

Yes, you always need an attorney when you purchase property. It's an important investment and you want to be protected as much as possible. My range is usually between $550 to $750 depending on the complexity. If there are condo docs to be read, I usually be on the higher end of $650. The costs charged by other attorneys may be more or less, but having practiced for over ten years, that seems to represent the average of what I see attorneys charging. Best of luck!

Anjali Gupta Stevenson, Esq.
(857) 284-9844

This information is not intended to be legal advice and does not create an attorney-client privilege or relationship between Anjali Gupta Stevenson Law Office, LLC and the reader. This information is for general purposes.

It is a wise idea to engage an attorney to represent you, not just for the P&S but to represent you through closing, as it is much easier to fix things at or before closing than afterward. You can Google for costs - it probably ranges $500-$900 assuming no problems. An attorney who also represents the lender (and will issue the title insurance policy) may be able to represent you on the lower end (because he or she will also receive the commission on the title insurance), but there is potential for conflict between your interests and the lender's interests. I only represent buyers or sellers, not lenders, because I feel the possibility for conflict is too high. Other attorneys are more comfortable with joint representation. Good luck!

A lawyer in a residential real estate purchase is like an insurance policy: You don't know if you need one until it is too late. It is the job of a lawyer to insert clauses that protect the buyer and to anticipate problems before they happen. Unles you can predict the future, you need a lawyer.

THIS COMMUNICATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE CREATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Legal rights vary greatly depending on specific facts, and it is impossible on the basis of the recitation of a few facts to determine whether or not an individual has a viable case, what is the full range of options, or what limitations exist which may bar an individual's potential claims. ON THE BASIS OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED TO ME, I RECOMMEND THAT YOU PROMPTLY CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF LEGAL RECOURSE, IF ANY, YOU MAY HAVE. YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON ANYTHING I HAVE STATED AS ADVICE TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN TO CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DISCUSS FULLY AN APPROPRIATE COURSE OF ACTION.

I agree with the other responses. However, you should be able to hire someone to review the P&S agreement alone. This usually entails adding an Addendum a.k.a. "Rider" to better protect your interests. This is an important purchase!

A real estate attorney can review the P&S prepared by the seller and insert important contractual clauses to protect your interests. A real estate attorney advocate for you, answer questions that arise, make sure you abide by all contingency and other deadlines, and protect your deposits. Most attorneys charge a simple flat fee for this type of review and representation. Call our office for our flat fee and congratulations on having your offer accepted!

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on generalized Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. If you would like an attorney with Vaughn-Martel Law to review your specific situation and provide you with legal options or information specific to you, you may schedule a telephone or office by calling 617-357-4898 or visiting us at www.vaughnmartel.com. Our office charges $100.00 for a consultation, and applies your consultation fee to your first bill if the Firm is hired to perform further work.