Skip to main content

Do I need a real estate attorney?

Caledonia, MI |

I built a new home in 2004. I assumed the title company took care of everything at closing. I kept my previous home as rental property. I received a bill for $3000+ for 3 years past due taxes on the rental home because somehow my paperwork was never filed indicating it was no longer my Primary Residence. The county has been sending each years tax bills for my rental property to my new home address for the 5 past years. It wasnt until I contested the recent assessment that I received a letter and they stated they noticed in their file that my property address does not match my mailing address. They had me complete a form and attached a letter stating the review is for 2009 forward. Did the county misplace my original exemption paper?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need a real estate attorney who used to work as a closing attorney for a title company and is very familiar with how the county appraisal/tax collector works in your county. The county probably has some protection on how they send out the notices. It may state in law that they only have to send it to the property address. I dunno... First contact the title company. That is what they do. But it does sound like the paperwork got FUBAR.
Good luck!

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer