Do I need a real estate attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - De Queen, AR

My husband and I are debating on foreclosure. We bought the house in 2010 and have been trying to sell it since April 2011. We have tried 2 realtor, unable to even come close to a sell. I have tried working with my bank, BoA, and they have my SS# wrong in the system and refuse to work with us. We are very behind on credit card payments and other payments. Even had our van repoed last year. From what I understand we owe $117,000 but our house is worth $127,000. Does that help us any? My question is if we leave will the bank file deficiency judgment on us. If they do what can we do? I feel like there are no more options for us. Thank you!

1. James Earl Hensley Jr.

1

1

Answered . Sounds like the bank will not work with you very much. If you have a plan where you can show the bank how you will get the payments made every month on time, they might be more willing to help. There are also some programs that might help get you some relief.

With the facts presented though, it sounds like you should consider bankruptcy. Contact a local bankruptcy attorney for advice.

2. Donald Kennedy Campbell III

Pro

Answered . You probably need to talk to both a real estate agents who have experience in helping folks with distressed sales and/or experts in getting houses refinanced under the settlement agreement established between many of the banks (including BOA) and President Obama's administration. There are programs that reward banks for refinancing houses like yours. You need to seek out someone in Arkansas that knows what they are doing and see if they can help you.
    If that does not work out, then you may be able to protect your house with bankruptcy or at lease protect yourself from collection if the house does not sell at foreclosure sale for what you owe on the house. I DO NOT recommend anyone withdraw money from your retirement account to pay your credit card bills. We see that a lot in the clients we represent in Bankruptcy Court, and those funds are protected from creditor's reach and it also creates tax problems so DO NOT withdraw funds from a retirement fund to pay on those credit card debts. Bankruptcy may help you but everyone's situation is different on whether or not it would help you. However, the sooner you attack this problem the better off you will be because you will have professional advice to rely upon rather than guess work.

3. Richard Garrett Ham Jr.

Answered . I agree with the attorneys above. From the facts that you provided, it appears that you may want to speak with a bankruptcy attorney. A bankruptcy attorney should be able to evaluate your individual circumstances and help you understand your rights in dealing with your creditors.