Do I need a real estate attorney?

Cerritos, CA |

My husband was deeded a house. He agreed to let the guy live there as long as he wanted. The man moved away. This man expects to collect the rent from the property, calling it equity. What should I do?

1. A resulting trust occurs where one person deeds the property to another with the understanding that the new owner will be an owner in name only. This may be what you have here. But the new owner is, of course, entitled to compensation for the service. This situation can be resolved by mutual agreement reduced to writing or through the courts. Consult an attorney.

2. Not clear as to the question. Who deeded the house to your husband? How long ago? Are you saying the "man" lived in the house rent free and now wants money on top of that too?

3. I agree with Mr. Graham.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

4. I have read your question and comments. The situation is too complex for an answer through this forum. Your husband needs to consult an attorney. There are many issues which need to be considered along with the exact facts, including the terms of any agreement between your husband and "the man." Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. After reviewing the questions and comments there still appears to me missing information. Mostly, how much was paid off, what was the value of the home at each relevant time, how much was invested in the renovations, and how much of the rents does the previous owner expect?