Do I need a personal lawyer if I'm under insured in an accident I was found at fault ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milford, OH

I was involved in an accident I was found at fault involving a motorcycle. The party has injuries exceeding my insurance coverage of $50,000. I just received a letter from their lawyer wanting insurance info from my homeowners insurance company. Should I refuse and is now the time to get a personal lawyer or will my automotive insurance provide me with assistance with from their defense lawyer?

1. Kevin Coluccio

10

Answered . What you should do is to contact an attorney to review all the relevant issues. It would be worth the expense to have a careful review.

Pro

8

Answered . A local attorney should review this to protect your interests, yes.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. George Costas Andriotis

7

Answered . I agree with my colleagues in that I would have a local attorney review your file and advise you accordingly. Your insurance company will assign you a lawyer but they don't always have your best interests in mind.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  4. Agustin Sevillano

Pro

6

Answered . You should definitely speak to a personal attorney immediately. When I say personal attorney, I mean an attorney that is not assigned to you by your insurance company. Your insurance company will only cover you as far as your policy limits allow. Any judgment over the $50,000 limit, would be your responsibility. I am assuming that the attorney representing the plaintiff is trying to find out if your homeowners insurance would provide coverage in your case.......you may very well want your homeowners coverage to apply. Going back to my original point, speak to a local attorney as soon as possible. Good luck to you.

5. David B Pittman

Pro

5

Answered . Agreed. Hire a local attorney to review this situation be fore doing anything to make sure that you protect your interests.

6. Mark Theodore Tischhauser

Pro

4

Answered . The entire concept of "bad faith" claims handling exists over insurance carriers screwing thier insureds and putting thier interests over the insureds. The other issue is you are dealing with an EXCESS coverage issue, in which your insurance company lawyer has ZERO incentive to protect you over his real client the insurer, who typically drives his practice if he is not a "captive" counsel. You need someone to watch your back ay both levels that has no conflicts of interest, even if the claim, like your defense counsel, that he puts your interest first.

7. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

3

Answered . Get a lawyer, see links.