Do I need a personal injury lawyer

Asked over 1 year ago - Detroit, MI

I had a slip and fall in a grocery stores on Monday due to the water in aisle. my problem is I did not break or fracture any bones but I do have contusion pain and swelling on my hip. there was no signs just the clerk feeling the opposite freezer and there was water leaking from his cart. also I just found out with SSI for out knee injury will that hurt either case

1. Daniel J. Melican

5

Answered . There is the possibility of a claim for slipping in clear water in a store. These cases are very fact specific. If you require further medical treatment you should seek treatment. If it is just a bruise that clears up completely in a few days you have to decide if it's really worth pursuing now. You normally have three years to sue in Michigan.

Always consult an attorney IMMEDIATELY as there are time limitations on filing a lawsuit.
  2. Albert Lee Crosner

5

Answered . Contact a local area personal injury attorney and talk to him/her about your claim. Most provide a free initial consultation. Sorry you were hurt. Best of luck.

3. Craig S. Romanzi

3

Answered . First, many commercial policies have MedPay provisions that range between 5k and 10k. If all you need is limited medical treatment, this is one option and a lawyer is not required. Whether you need a lawyer to collect Pain and suffering Damages depends upon your expectation. Sometimes it is possible for an individual claimant to negotiate directly with the businesses insurance. If your financial expectations are high, you will require the services of an attorney and the case will necessarily proceed to court. Michigan is a very hostile environment to "premises liability" claims based upon the narrow window between being able to show that the business had "notice" of the hazardous condition or caused the hazardous condition on the one hand and the condition was not "open and obvious" on the other hand.

4. Timothy Leo Bowden

4

Answered . please look up a local attorney on this site. he or she can help. it does look like you have a valid claim.

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

Answered . You should not attempt to handle a slip and fall matter on your own. I suggest you Post no further details here on the Internet.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  6. David Ian Schoen

Pro

3

Answered . You should clarify your facts if you want a meaningful response.