Do i need a personal injury lawyer?

Asked about 5 years ago - Red Lion, PA

i was recently involved in a rearend collision i had to seek medical attention the other drivers insurance agent said that because my car is registered in another state that they will not pay my medical expenses is that true?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Dale G. Larrimore

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Under Pennsylvania law, the first source for payment of medical bills for treatment caused by a motor vehicle crash is your own car insurance policy. Most policies carry $5000 in first party benefits for medical bills. You need to look at your policy to see what coverage you have. Once that is exhausted, then you submit your claim to your medical insurance company.

    The other driver's insurance company is responsible for compensating you for your physical pain, mental suffering, loss of enjoyment of life and for any out of pocket expenses you may incur. Keep good records of everything -- how you are feeling, your doctor visits, your expenses, time lost from work, etc. That claim will probably be hard for you to evaluate, but a good personal injury attorney will be trained in evaluating what you might be entitled to.

    Dale Larrimore

  2. Stuart A. Carpey

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you have a car insured and registered in another sate other than Pennsylvania, and the accident happened in Pennsylvania, you need to look to your own insurance policy to see what it covers it terms of paying medical bills.

  3. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You did not state where this accident occurred, nor where you live or where the car is registered.. I do think that you need to consult with a personal injury attorney who can advise you as to medical benefits which may be available under your own insurance policy. In the interim, do not discuss the accident with the adverse insurance carrier nor give them access to your medical records before you have an opportunity to retain your own attorney.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

  4. Jennifer Cannon-Unione

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . First, take a look at your own insurance to see if you have what's called personal injury protection coverage (PIP). If you do then PIP will pay for your medical bills regardless of fault. If you do not have PIP, then you will need to have your private insurance pay.

    Given that you are injured, you need to make sure you take care of yourself. This includes following up with treatment as recommended by your doctor. Once you are completed treatment, then you should be able to submit your bills to the insurance company representing the "at fault" driver. If this insurance company has accepted liability for their driver, then they will compensate you for your medical expenses and pain and suffering.

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Jon Mitchell Jackson

Automobile Accidents

Most people are not aware of the fact that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of injury and death in the United States. Americans collectively drive almost three trillion miles... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,542 answers this week

2,755 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,542 answers this week

2,755 attorneys answering