Do i need a oui attorney ?

Hayward, WI |

OUI cited for overdose of vicidan and beer !!!!
my perscription bottles for hydrocodone and ibuprophin 800's are identical even the warning stickers -- i inadvertantly took 3 hydros and on 1 800 which is backwards to the norm which clouded my judgement and clarity-- deer jumped me on curve on hwy --put motorcycle in ditch -- blew .015 -- was not allowed a phone call while in jail ? -- do i need to plead guilty with explanation or not guilty

1. You cannot plead guilty with an explanation any plea must be voluntary. If you start providing an explanation or disagreeing with facts stated in the complaint, then the judge may refuse to take your plea. OWI cases are complicated and difficult for attorneys so you should not try to resolve this case yourself. If you cannot afford an attorney you should ask for a public defender. But a public defender will not represent you on a first offense because it is a civil regulatory offense not a criminal one.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.

2. Taking to the Internet to ask how you should plead in a criminal court is not a good plan.

Hire a criminal defense attorney IMMEDIATELY.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

3. Yes you do - check the "Find a Lawyer" link here on Avvo.

4. Any time you are charged with OWI you should hire counsel if you can afford it. There are significant consequences that flow even from a first offense. Additionally, the defense of OWI cases has, in some respects, become more complicated than defendant a homicide case.

This answer is for informational purposes only. By answering this question, no attorney/client relationship is created. Although the legal information is accurate, it may not be appropriate for your situation. The best way to handle any legal problem is to seek the advice of an attorney.