Do I need a new H1B in this case?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I am working for XYZ right now on 7th year of my H1 which will expire on 12/2015 (got beyond 6 years approval after having I-140 approved).

Now if I switch the job to ABC - I will transfer the H1B, but let's say after joining ABC in US, I go to work on the offshore office of ABC (India) for 8-9 months (where I will not need H1B)... so after 8-9 months, can I come back on same H1B to work for US office of ABC?... is it possible? ... if yes, then the expiration of H1B will move beyond 12/2015?... (so I can re-start my green card with PERM within 365 days of expiration..)

Also, lets say when I am offshore working for ABC.. can I ask company WXY to take up my H1 and so I can come to US and join WXY? (in case ABC goes rogue in their plans of calling me back to US).

1. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . If the H-1B petition has not been withdrawn, then yes.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . You will get extensions of H-1B beyond six years as long as the I-140 is approved and valid until the I-485 can be filed.

3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . I've shared your question with Avvo's immigration law forum, where your question may be seen by more attorneys who practice in this area of the law.