Do I need a malpractice attorney who specializes in nursing home negligence?

Asked 9 months ago - Parma, OH

My father was sent to a nearby nursing home facility for rehab, duration would be 2-4 weeks. The rehab was specifically for his balance and walking. He was a dementia/Alzheimer's patient. Physically was 100% healthy. Age 93, weighed 183 lbs.
Nursing home did not like the fact that dad was trying to get up all the time hence, they labeled him combative and heavily drugged him using three sedatives. This induced dad into a non responsive comatose state. Nursing home never administered fluids over approx. 7 days. I insisted dad be sent to hospital. They said this was the worse dehydration/malnutrition case they'd ever seen. Dad list approx. 45 lbs. in those 2 weeks @ nursing home plus, large oozing bed sore on his back. This was horrific. Hence, my dad was dehydrated to death.

1. Lee Alan Thompson

14

Answered . So very sorry to hear this. You want someone that does nursing home negligence cases. I don't in the Cleveland area anymore but we have several excellent ones in the Columbus that do this statewide. Find someone there or you can contact me I can give you a referral.

2. Ryan Hayes Fisher

14

Answered . You need an experienced nursing home lawyer (blue link below). This is not a medical malpractice case but a nursing home negligence/wrongful death case. You have one year to file your lawsuit but prior to that an estate needs to be opened and records ordered and reviewed by an expert. I suggest you begin the process soon as employees in these nursing homes tend to change jobs frequently and securing a statement or deposition from them is often a very important part of meeting your burden of proof. I'm sorry for your loss and I wish you success holding those responsible for his death.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

15

Answered . Sorry for your loss. You describe a horrific demise and grossly negligent conduct. Please contact an attorney who specializes in nursing home litigation. Good luck.

4. Rachel Anne Sabo

Pro

13

Answered . I am so sorry to hear about this. It definitely sounds like you may have a case of nursing home negligence and possibly wrongful death. If you'd like to call my office, I can recommend a great attorney I have personally worked with here in Columbus. I know you live closer to Cleveland but it shouldn't make a huge difference where your attorney is as long as they are excellent and can handle this case. [removed]

5. Michael David Myers

Pro

14

Answered . You definitely need to hire an experienced nursing home attorney. Most provide free consultations and work on a contingent basis. Email attorneys this tonight and set up teleconferences for tomorrow. AVVO has a tool to help you find a lawyer: http://www.avvo.com/find-a-lawyer

If you want to discuss please email me at mmyers@myers-company.com or call on my mobile: (206) 714-1421. Thanks.
  6. John L. Schroeder

14

Answered . Definitely contact a lawyer.

Pro

9

Answered . Yes. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee close to your home.

8. Philip Anthony Fabiano

5

Answered . I am very sorry for your loss. Your poor father was tortured. From the facts you present there is so much wrong--beginning with the "chemical" restraints.
    Ohio has a very short statute of limitation period. Do not delay and hire Ohio counsel who regularly handle nursing home cases. You have many good choices included the Ohio lawyers who have already responded to your question.