Do I need a license to start a Magazine publishing business?

Edison, NJ |

I want to start a magazine which covers different digital art related information. More of an information sharing, portfolio display for new artists & etc.

1. While there are a number of legal considerations with starting such a business ranging from setting up a proper entity, to IP concerns and managing content providers, employees or independent contractors among others, I do not know of any specific license required in NJ for this. Typically, when you create an entity in NJ you also register with the tax division and there they will ask that you identify which type of business you are operating at that time. Of course, it is always a good idea to cross your Ts and have a professional look into any possible compliance requirement. This is fairly routine when we set up the business structure for our clients.

I would suggest that you discuss your plans with a lawyer in private so you can get some guidance here. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult so you may wish to take advantage of that.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    New York / New Jersey
    (see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

2. There is no specific license covering this activity in NJ. NJ has a decent website for walking prospective business owners through any locensing requirements. See

http://www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/licenses/frequently/

Of course there are certain aspects of your business which should be discussed with an intellectual property attorney to make sure you cover the necessary bases.

Business topics