Do I need a license to become a debt collector in NJ? If so how do I get one?

Asked 11 months ago - Union, NJ

How do I get a license to become a debt collector in NJ?

1. Michael T Warshaw

2

Answered . You may need to be registered as a business, and you will need to be familiar with and compliant with state and federal laws that regulated debt collectors, but beyond that, there are no special requirements to be a debt collector.

2. Pamela Koslyn

3

Answered . There are state and federal debt collection laws that debt collectors need to adhere to or they risk being liable to debtors. But I know of no federal or state license requirement that affects NJ's or any other state's residents to do this job. Check with your city's finance office to see if you need a business license and are required to pay a city business tax.

3. Jason David Roth

Pro

1

Answered . You will also need to post a bond.