Do I need a license defense attorney now, or only if my hospital reports me to the Board of Registered Nursing.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am under investigation at my place of employment for diverting narcotics. I took a drug test and the results are being sent back as negative (I was positive, but the lab verified my Norco prescription and stated that they will send ther results back as negative.) A patient did not remember that I gave him pain medication in the morning and it is charted that I did so. I do tend to give a lot of pain medication, but only with a physician order. I always waste the medication prior to administering it, although they might be able to find a time where it did not register in the Pyxis due to computer error. I am confident there is not a pattern of this happening.I have been on administrative leave for almost 2 weeks. Do I need lawyer at the meeting? Any advice on what to say or not say.

1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

5

Answered . You probably want to discuss your case with an attorney at least to see your options if they report it and /or file criminal charges.

2. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

5

Answered . This is your nursing license and your livelihood. Consult with a lawyer to make sure that all of your rights are protected. You don't have to have one but it is wise to do so.

3. Blake Lamont Kelley

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, you should discuss your case with an attorney at least to see your options if they report it and /or file criminal charges.

I'm not your attorney and the answer above is fact dependent.