Do I need a lawyer to write a letter in answer to a summons for debt collection when I am the wrong person?

Asked about 1 year ago - Myrtle Beach, SC

The debt is in my same name but is not my credit card and does not show in my credit reports.

Additional information

The summons even states that the signed credit card agreement has been lost.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Penny Hays Cauley

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You definitely need to retain an attorney to represent you in this action. If the credit card company served you with the lawsuit, they believe you are the debtor. If it is not your account, you will need an attorney to file an Answer on your behalf and defend the case.

    Any information provided is simply based on a review of the information provided by the question. This answer... more
  2. John A. Jackson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No but if you do not want a judgment against you it would be best for you to retain an attorney to represent you. Just writing a letter is not going to do anything.

    This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any... more
  3. Kevin B. Zazzera


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you were served, you need to file an answer. If you do not, they will get a default judgment against you. However, if you appear in the case, the burden is on them to prove that you owe the money. If they can't - you win. That simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,923 answers this week

3,098 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,923 answers this week

3,098 attorneys answering