Do I need a lawyer to write a letter in answer to a summons for debt collection when I am the wrong person?

Asked about 1 year ago - Myrtle Beach, SC

The debt is in my same name but is not my credit card and does not show in my credit reports.

The summons even states that the signed credit card agreement has been lost.

1. Penny Hays Cauley

2

Answered . You definitely need to retain an attorney to represent you in this action. If the credit card company served you with the lawsuit, they believe you are the debtor. If it is not your account, you will need an attorney to file an Answer on your behalf and defend the case.

2. John A. Jackson

1

Answered . No but if you do not want a judgment against you it would be best for you to retain an attorney to represent you. Just writing a letter is not going to do anything.

3. Kevin B. Zazzera

Pro

Answered . If you were served, you need to file an answer. If you do not, they will get a default judgment against you. However, if you appear in the case, the burden is on them to prove that you owe the money. If they can't - you win. That simple.