Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer to sue the dept.. of correction of NJ for violate my civil right? how long do i have to pursue the case?

Rahway, NJ |

in 2013 my case was dismiss by prosecutor lack of evidence. my right were violate, for coming to my apartment in a lock building and arrest me without an arrest warrant. can i sue them?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Depends on facts you did not post. See an attorney immediately.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


More information is necessary in order to properly respond to your question. In New Jersey, you can sue the municipality or a police department. however, there are certain requirements, such as filing a notice of tort claim, that must be strictly adhered to. I recommend that you seek an attorney immediately who is familiar with civil rights litigation. for your reference I have attached a link to our video explaining how a lawyer determines whether you have a case or not.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 Additional Offices in Massapequa, NY, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.


Contact an experienced civil rights attorney immediately. Before you see him, spend some time writing down everything that happened in chronological order. Identify people involved and witnesses, too. Move fast, because you will need to file a tort claims notice within 90 days of the incident. If you proceed solely on a civil rights violation under wither the federal or state constitutions, the statute of limitations is two years from the event.

A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is informational only. Allan E. Richardson, Esq. Richardson, Galella & Austermuhl 142 Emerson ST., Woodbury, NJ 08096 856-579-7045.

Adam Lefkowitz

Adam Lefkowitz


The 90 day time frame for filing the tort claims act approaches faster than most people realize. Immediately consult with an attorney.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer