Do I need a lawyer to sue the dept.. of correction of NJ for violate my civil right? how long do i have to pursue the case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rahway, NJ

in 2013 my case was dismiss by prosecutor lack of evidence. my right were violate, for coming to my apartment in a lock building and arrest me without an arrest warrant. can i sue them?

1. Allan E Richardson

1

Answered . Contact an experienced civil rights attorney immediately. Before you see him, spend some time writing down everything that happened in chronological order. Identify people involved and witnesses, too. Move fast, because you will need to file a tort claims notice within 90 days of the incident. If you proceed solely on a civil rights violation under wither the federal or state constitutions, the statute of limitations is two years from the event.

2. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

Answered . More information is necessary in order to properly respond to your question. In New Jersey, you can sue the municipality or a police department. however, there are certain requirements, such as filing a notice of tort claim, that must be strictly adhered to. I recommend that you seek an attorney immediately who is familiar with civil rights litigation. for your reference I have attached a link to our video explaining how a lawyer determines whether you have a case or not.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Depends on facts you did not post. See an attorney immediately.