Do i need a lawyer to sue my brother cause he didn't execute my dads will properly and is avoiding me

Absecon, NJ |
Filed under: Wills

he is the executor

1. Absolutely. As the old saying goes, if there's smoke, there's fire. In 22 years of handling these issues, I have almost always found that the failure of the executor to communicate with the heirs is a sign of wrongdoing. Moreover, if you wait too long, the money may be misappropriated and you may not be able to get it back. You want to hire a competent probate litigator to file an action, if necessary, to ensure that your brother accounts for his actions and to freeze any accounts to ensure they are preserved for you and any other heirs.

This response does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. It is also not to be taken as firm legal advice as such would be contingent on a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter. The response is meant to be a helpful guide to a question in a manner which reflects the limited information provided by the inquirer.

2. You should obtain a copy of your father's Will and speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Sometimes there are time limits on filing claims - so the sooner the better. This is a matter where legal advice would be helpful.

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. For legal advice, please contact and retain an attorney of your own choosing for more information.

3. I agree with the previous attorneys who responded that an attorney consultation is highly advisable in your situation.

Good luck,
    Chris

The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay, 1325 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107, chris@cfaylaw.com, (267) 519-2719, www.cfaylaw.com. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. You should not act based upon this general information nor without seeking legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. Any client reviews or attorney endorsements posted on this website are solely the opinion of that person and should not be construed as representative of the results you might expect to receive in your specific legal matter. No one can offer a review or endorsement concerning the type or quality of legal work they received in relation to the type or quality of legal work that might be done for you if you become a client of this office. This website is not advertising. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of our attorneys. This website and its feature to contact us do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay or any of its attorneys. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay practices law only in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Pursuant to the requirements of U.S. Treasury Regulation Circular 230, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used to avoid penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or to promote, market or recommend to another person any tax-related matter.

Wills and estates topics