Do I need a lawyer to petition the court to end my probation early?

Asked about 2 years ago - South Hamilton, MA

I have one year left of a 2 year probation sentence for second offence OUI. I plan on completing all my commitments prior to the petition and I want to move to SC to live with my sister and help her raise my nephew. I plan on getting a job and possibly going to school in SC. Will I be required to have a job already lined up when I ask to get off probation? Also, my ultimate goal is to move. Can I petition the court to end my probation early and if not transfer it SC in the same hearing?

1. Lauren Craig Redmond

6

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, you can petition the court for an early end of your probation. But you will be far more likely to get it allowed if you get an attorney to put together the argument for you. Preferably an attorney who practices regularly in that court. Yes, it will go much better for you if you already have a job in SC. Although, it is possible to get early termination without a job. The most important person in all of this, in my opinion, is your probation officer. If s/he supports this that will weigh greatly in your favor. So get a lawyer, get your PO on board, and good luck!

2. Michael Howard Erlich

Pro

3

Answered . An attorney will certainly help

3. Kevin Michael Cloutier

3

Answered . The only information I can add to the current answers is that it may be possible to have your probation "transferred" to South Carolina. This is an alternative option if the Court is unwilling to end your probation early. If you have completed all of your mandatory OUI probation obligations, the transferred probation will likely be administrative only - meaning, you may only have to check in with your probation officer periodically and avoid getting arrested. To echo attorney Redmond's advice..........speak to your probation officer!! If they are not on board with your request, there may not be much that a lawyer can do for you. The court will likely defer to probation.

4. Michael Rodney St Louis Esq.

3

Answered . Talk to you probation officer, that will be instrumental in allowing the transfer to SC.

5. Henry Lebensbaum

2

Answered . You can do it yourself, but a lawyer could be helpful.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

6. Benjamin J Lieberman

3

Answered . It's never a smart idea trying to navigate the criminal justice system alone. I would suggest that you do get yourself an attorney.