Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer to petition the court to end my probation early?

South Hamilton, MA |

I have one year left of a 2 year probation sentence for second offence OUI. I plan on completing all my commitments prior to the petition and I want to move to SC to live with my sister and help her raise my nephew. I plan on getting a job and possibly going to school in SC. Will I be required to have a job already lined up when I ask to get off probation? Also, my ultimate goal is to move. Can I petition the court to end my probation early and if not transfer it SC in the same hearing?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Yes, you can petition the court for an early end of your probation. But you will be far more likely to get it allowed if you get an attorney to put together the argument for you. Preferably an attorney who practices regularly in that court. Yes, it will go much better for you if you already have a job in SC. Although, it is possible to get early termination without a job. The most important person in all of this, in my opinion, is your probation officer. If s/he supports this that will weigh greatly in your favor. So get a lawyer, get your PO on board, and good luck!

Attorney Lauren Craig Redmond ~ 617.953.6116 ~ No attorney/client relationship is established or implied by any email or phone conversation.



Thank you so much for your answer, by far the most helpful!

Lauren Craig Redmond

Lauren Craig Redmond


You're welcome. Good luck in SC.


It's never a smart idea trying to navigate the criminal justice system alone. I would suggest that you do get yourself an attorney.


An attorney will certainly help


The only information I can add to the current answers is that it may be possible to have your probation "transferred" to South Carolina. This is an alternative option if the Court is unwilling to end your probation early. If you have completed all of your mandatory OUI probation obligations, the transferred probation will likely be administrative only - meaning, you may only have to check in with your probation officer periodically and avoid getting arrested. To echo attorney Redmond's advice..........speak to your probation officer!! If they are not on board with your request, there may not be much that a lawyer can do for you. The court will likely defer to probation.


Talk to you probation officer, that will be instrumental in allowing the transfer to SC.

Visit us at or call (781) 816-3950 for a free consultation. We handle Criminal Defense and Divorce Law throughout Massachusetts. Located in Boston, Andover and Danvers, MA. - Cases involving Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, Theft, Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony, Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity, Juveniles, Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders.


You can do it yourself, but a lawyer could be helpful.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer