Do I need a lawyer to negotiate a license for Sanrio Character?

Canada, KY |

I'm not sure about these processes but because Sanrio is a popular brand, is it possible for me to license their brand to make online products (eg phone themes) to sell? Is a lawyer required for this process and how is this done? Please shed some light on me.

You should use a lawyer or a licensing agent. Sanrio will not be interested in licensing you individually because it would cost them more than they would make and they are in business to make money. So you need more than a lawyer, you need a high volume that is worth their time and effort to review and monitor your proposed license. If you can offer them a minimum of about $100,000 in royalties, they will likely at least look at the license proposal, otherwise likely not.
    Sanrio is looking for a Licensing Manager so perhaps you are interested in a job.
    http://www.sanrio.com/licensingmanagerhardlines/

If you just want to pitch a licensing proposal, you email them at licensing@sanrio.com

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

2. The link below is to Sanrio's business opportunities website and has the contact information for Sanrio licensing. Before you contact its licensing department, however, you need to work with your own business attorney, licensed to practice in your state, to formally create a company, organize it, fund it, and staff it. No large consumer products company will license its intellectual property to just an individual -- but they will license to established, well-funded and well-managed companies. Good luck.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

3. Yes and yes. It is possible to license a trademark/brand and you will need a lawyer to review/draft the contract. Preferably you want an IP licensing attorney as intellectual property licenses have their own type of complexity that a general contract attorney may not be familiar with. Use Avvo's Find a Lawyer feature to find an attorney in your area that can help you. You may also need to consult a Business Attorney to discuss the development of your business and how to protect yourself from potential liability.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry. less

Trademark infringement topics