Do I need a lawyer to file a divorce.

Asked 11 months ago - Howe, TX

I am filing for divorce. We have a 16 year old son. Have nothing to dispute no land, cars, or young children.

1. Deanna Lynn Whitley

Pro

2

Answered . You are not required to have a lawyer but the process can be tricky. In many courts, a staff attorney is assigned to assist "pro se" litigants. Call the local court house to see if free assistance is offered.

2. Edward Brandon Beckham

Answered . Really, you’re asking a rhetorical question because you already know the answer. You’re describing a divorce and custody matter. At minimum, you need to consult with an experienced with an experienced divorce attorney, licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction, about the specific facts and details of the case. Don’t delay; it is highly advisable that you meet with an attorney as soon as you can. Once you've met with a local lawyer about your case the case you should be better able to make an informed decision as to how you want to proceed.