Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer to describe a car accident detail to my insurance company

Miami, FL |

a woman on a scooter fell in front of my car when she was trying to cut me off. She received a reckless driving ticket. I now received letter from her attorney requesting injury damages. What should I do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


Give all information to your auto insurance carrier and they will defend you.


Call your insurance company, and do what they ask. They should provide a lawyer for you, and should defend you from the claims.

No attorney-client relationship is intended by this answer.


Call your insurance carrier immediately. Do not respond directly to the attorney requesting damages, until you have counsel from your insurance company. You insurance company should provide you with legal counsel. Provide them with the letter from the other attorney.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, a general purpose response based on Florida law is provided. All relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter is not available. Therefore, I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, the review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Karen Munzer, PLLC,, E-Mail: , Tel: (786) 501-6655


You do not need to hire a lawyer. Your insurance company will hire counsel for you if you are sued.


Send the letter to your insurance agent.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website


This is why you have auto insurance. You need do nothing but report it immediately to your automobile insurance company and then cooperate with them in the handling of the case. Only if you have reason at some point in the future to believe that your own insurance company is not handling the case in good faith would you have any need to hire your own attorney. If you are sued, your insurer will hire an attorney to represent you.

The above is general advice regarding applicable state law. It does not create an attorney-client relationship in any specific case.


I agree with the responses of all of the good Florida lawyers who have responded. Call your insurance company today, and let them handle this for you.


You need to call your insurance company, and report the accident to them. They will probably ask you for a statement as to how the accident happenned.


Simply turn the matter over to your insurance company to resolve. That's why we have insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


INFORM YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!! I emphasize this, because in your contractual terms of your insurance policy, you are mandated to inform them of any and all accidents. Insurance companies are big time businesses, and these insurance companies are looking for anyway to save money. If they think you didn't properly inform them, they could take this as a material breach of your auto policy contract and potentially not protect you. If and when you properly inform them, your insurance company will do a reasonable investigation, and either accept or deny liability. From the facts you have given it seems likely that your insurance company will deny liability and inform that persons legal counsel. Once liability is denied, the only course of action for an attorney to take is to file suit, and let the jury decide who was liable. If the injuries were minimum, it will be unlikely for an attorney to pursue this route, but there is that possibility.

This answer does not establish an attorney-client privileged. This answer is purely informative.


No. Report this incident to your insurance carrier and cooperate with their investigation. They have a duty to investigate the incident, defend you, and indemnify you if necessary. That is why you pay them an insurance premium.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer