Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer to attend may first court date?

Douglas, GA |

I was arrested for DUI on August 8th. I've researched lawyers and I'm saving up to afford one. My first court date was today (9-17) where upon appearing in front of the judge I asked for an extension to afford a lawyer who could help me decide what I should plea and the judge was very unaccommodating and gave me one week. I was issued a summons that reads:
"It is hereby commanded that laying all other business aside you shall be at and appear before the court on Tuesday 9-24th to answer the charges indicated above. You are further directed to bring with you any and all witnesses or evidence which you desire to produce in trial of your case. Herein fail not under penalty of law." I was also issued an identically worded summons for the date 10-29.

Attorney Answers 9

  1. Best answer

    You can probably buy yourself some more time if you need it by pleading not guilty. That said, you'll need to be careful that you don't unknowingly waive your jury trial rights or prematurely bind over your case to a higher court. And the sooner you can get a lawyer, the better. For that reason, many of us offer payment plans, and you can get very good representation without breaking the bank. So if you're unable to hire whoever you've already spoken with, consider making a couple more calls. We all offer free initial consultations. Best wishes to you!

  2. Feel free to give my office a call tomorrow and we can discuss your options.

  3. You needed a lawyer on August 9th. If you cannot afford one, request a public defender, and do so before your next court date. Otherwise, you will have to figure out how to hire a lawyer before next week so you can avoid drawing the ire of the judge.

  4. Yes, you definitely need to contact an attorney. DUI law is com

  5. Contact a criminal defense lawyer ASAP to represent you BEFORE court.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  6. I would call the clerk's office, and ask them which date is your correct court date. I'd be surprised if the judge only gave you a week extension to be able to afford an attorney. The October 29th date sounds more accurate, but I would check with the clerk's office to confirm the correct date.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

  7. Definitely, without even any doubt.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  8. If the judge has taken that attitude with you, you need to get an attorney now. The next time you are in court, this judge is going to arraign you regardless of whether you have an attorney. Moreover, you only have 10 days after arraignment to file motions in your case. Otherwise, you have to get special permission from this very unaccommodating judge to extend the time for filing motions. It sounds like that is not going to happen. Therefore, you need to make arrangements with an attorney to represent you prior to your next arraignment date. Otherwise, you could lose the right to file a motion to suppress in your case (note that this is a very important tool in DUI defense). I would recommend talking to George McCranie. His office is in Douglas and he does a substantial DUI practice.

  9. You need an attorney as quickly as possible. You should request and make an application for a public defender. He can then help you decide how to plea on your upcoming court date. Most likely this will be "not guilty and requesting a jury trial". However, you need to be aware that a time clock will begin to run on any attorney's ability to file certain motions on your behalf. If you still want to hire a private attorney you will need to do so immediately and make sure they fully understand the status of the case.

DUI court topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics