Do i need a lawyer to appeal my tax assessment to essex county?

Asked about 5 years ago - Montclair, NJ

I just had my home appraised for a refinance and it's come in more than $110,000 less than what the town's assessment co. valued it at. the taxes are killing me. Can I use this appraisal in my appeals?

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . Usually a bank appraiser is not a certified real estate appraiser and is not considered a sufficient expert in tax appeals. Although you do not need a lawyer, many of them are quite good in doing this. Some charge one-third of the tax savings they make for you for three years. Taxes must be paid up to date for the county to allow a property tax appeal.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Legal terms used in litigation………………………………………………………..

Taxes

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.