Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer in the state of Tennessee? (divorce was filed there....I live in New York.

Brooklyn, NY |

Husband abandon me (After 22 years).....He sent papers for a uncontested divorce-I sent a letter to the judge contesting it on grounds of Abandonment, Adultery Debt & Alimony...Then I received a Amended Complaint for Divorce (inappropriate marital conduct) by his attorney, I have 30 days to respond..Do I need a tennessee lawyer? or can I respond myself?.I can't afford to go to Tennessee..What should I do?..Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You should definitely consult with a Tennessee lawyer, since the action was commenced in that State. You can challenge the Action for Divorce on jurisdictional grounds if that is your desire. The most important thing for you to consider is whether the laws on the issue of distribution of the marital assets and alimony is more favorable in Tennessee then it is in NY. Definitely consult with a Tennessee attorney, a NY attorney won't be able to give you any feedback on how things are done in Tennessee.


Your situation is too complicated to receive actionable advice based upon the limited information in your question. You need to consult in person with a local matrimonial attorney ASAP. You can locate one on Avvo using the "find a lawyer" tab.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.


Yes it would be wise to consult an attorney in Tennessee by phone and then hire one to represent you in the matter. You should not represent yourself in another state where you do not live and cannot go to court. That would not be in your best interests.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


Yes - you need a lawyer in Tennessee!

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


Good day:

All counsel who answered are correct. You definitely should not try this alone.

There maybe some sort of legal assistance in that state you might qualify for. Some but not many lawyers after giving you a consultation may take the case on a pro bono ( no charge basis). Others may take it and give you some indication that legal fees based on your situation maybe awarded by the court.

Either way please get a consultation with a local lawyer in the area where case is filed in Tennessee.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in NY so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction. IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY MARGOLIS BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points.


Yes, my advice to you would be to get a lawyer.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer