Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer in family law?

Seattle, WA |

My daughter is 10 almost 11 and has never had any contact with her biological father. He does pay some child support for her..... My husband is looking to adopt her. What are the Washington state laws on non custodial abandonment?

Attorney Answers 3


Failure to visit a child does not constitute abandonement. If the Biological Father does not agree to the adoption, you will have a difficult time. If he does not agree, the best idea might be to serve him the Petition alleging that he is unfit and hope that he does not respond, which in effect constitutes a default. However, a default is easy to set aside. Absent his agreement, you should not try to do this without hiring an attorney.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Mark as helpful


If the biological father was confronted with a child support action, he might see some value in allowing an adoption. On the other hand, he might demand visitation, although he would face an investigation over how much contact is appropriate if he chose to do so. You would need an experienced family law attorney to pursue this course.

By asking your question on AVVO you agree and understand there is no attorney-client relationship established, no attorney-client confidentiality and no duty to provide additional responses. Any response is limited to and depends upon the accuracy of the facts provided in the question. To the extent different facts exist, the response could easily change. Responses carry no warranty of any kind and should not be relied upon as legal advice; they are only opinion. All responses are based on Washington law.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Your question can be better answred by in the adoption forum. Step-parent adoptions are easier and less expensive thatn other adoptions. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child custody and adoptions for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Mark as helpful

Child adoption topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics