Do I need a lawyer if my wife has retained one to represent her but filling for an uncontested divorce?

Asked about 1 year ago - Canton, GA

Wife has served me papers and has been cooperative so far. We hope to avoid meditation but I don't feel comfortable signing without a lawyer reviewing it first. How can I find a consulting lawyer to help me that works by the hour without requiring a retainer fee in Canton GA?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. William M. Brownell Jr.

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Many divorce lawyers would be willing to be retained on a consultation basis and charge you for one or two hours just to review the documents and to review your situation to make sure you're getting a fair deal. In fact, I would recommend not signing anything until you've consulted with an attorney. Call around.

  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . First of all, you are NOT in an uncontested divorce. You needed a lawyer yesterday. In serving you papers as opposed to negotiating before filing you are in a contested proceeding. Not only should you not sign anything without counsel, but you should be filing appropriate paperwork and getting proper advice and should not be talking with her lawyer.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  3. J. Richard Kulerski

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Call or contact several divorce lawyers in your county. You might find what you are looking for.

  4. Adrian Kaspar Pritchett

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You need to make sure you file an answer within 30 days of service. Although there are no "default judgments" in divorce, there can be judicial admissions of facts which remained uncontested during that 30-day window, and that could hurt you.

  5. Marta Maria Noriega-Allen

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You can go to mediation and consider your options without entering into an agreement. If you find that what is being discussed at mediation seems to be fair, you should know that most counties allow an unrepresented party to have a certain number of days (3 to 14 depending on what county it is) after reaching an agreement at mediation to consult with an attorney and potentially recant it.

    If you have an attorney present at mediation, the agreement is binding on the represented party. In other words, it is actually to your benefit to have more time to think over any agreement reached at mediation if you do not have an attorney present because you are usually allotted more time. If your divorce is in Cherokee County, you should contact the Ninth Judicial District ADR (mediation) office to find out what the time period you are allowed after mediation \ to have an attorney look it over an agreement. Here is a link to the website:

    If you are interested in hourly services to review the agreement, I practice all over the metro area and have had many cases in Cherokee County. Please see my profile for my contact information if you are interested in my services and I would be glad to assist you.

    This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,371 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,371 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering