Do I need a lawyer if I am filing a disability discrimination charge against my former employer?

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I returned from a 6 week LOA for Major Depressive Disorder. I was harassed and discriminated against to the point of utter frustration, anger and tears. I ended up quitting 5 weeks later. Explained situation to supervisor,manager & director and asked for reasonable accommodations and was turned down. I explained to HR as well and was asked to resign. There is so much more to this but, I know I have to get right to the question. I have no witnesses as we worked in our own department. I know that "mental" disabilities are tough to prove as it is but, to not have any witnesses will be even tougher. But what happened to me is very real. And I don't want them to get away with this. I am still suffering. Should I retain a lawyer? Any other advice?

1. Edward Clement Sweeney

Pro

Answered . Yes, please do get a lawyer. You sound like you may have a very good case. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act and their 2009 amendments, the ADAAA, the focus now is on the Employer's conduct not on the extent of your disability. You may have relief under state law as well. You would be best served by consulting a Nevada employment lawyer. Before you go to court, you need to file an administrative case. As there are time limits to filing an administrative case, you should consult immediately.