Do I need a lawyer for writing a lease?

Asked over 2 years ago - Miami, FL

Hey, I want to rent out my basement for some extra money. I’m in the process of writing a lease, should I contact a lawyer for this? Does it have to be written in “legalese” or can it be in plain writing?

1. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Pro

3

Answered . You should hire an attorney to draft a lease agreement for you. The ones you find online or in stores usually don't have the strongest language with the right kind of clauses to protect the landlord. The language can be very plain and still have the effect needed.

I recommend joining a local landlord organization and buying a recently-published book on florida landlords (published within the last two years). Good luck!

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

4

Answered . First of all, you need to make sure you're complying with all local zoning laws. Some jurisdictions require rental licenses; other zoning ordinances prohibit renting in certain properties.

Secondly, while a lease doesn't have to be written in "legalese" there are provisions in leases which you may not be aware that you want to include. To protect yourself, and to save yourself aggravation later on down the road if things go awry with a potential tenant, you really ought to spend a few extra dollars having an attorney draft your lease.

3. Heather Morcroft

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys and would say that although there is no legal requirement that an attorney write a lease for you, the practical answer is YES!!!!!