Do i need a lawyer for my student loan

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

about 15 years ago, i took out a student loan for about $7,000
the loan has defaulted..i only attented college for 6 months,..
the collection agency is sending me demand letters my balance
with the collection agency is $29,965.67...

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Definitely talk to a lawyer ASAP.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. Robert M. Gardner Jr.


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Interest and penalties over 15 years at a default interest rate could very well add up to this, and you cannot discharge it in bankruptcy if you are able to work at all. You can hire a lawyer to try and negotiate a payment schedule or speak with the agency directly. If you do nothing, you may end up with a lawsuit and a garnishment, so do not ignore this.

    The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base... more
  3. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Interest and penalties have a way of adding up. I suggest you contact a consumer debt lawyer who specializes in student loans. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and student loans

Student loans cannot normally be discharged in bankruptcy. Unlike most other types of debt, student loans are nondischargeable--except in cases of hardship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,850 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,850 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering