Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer for my DWI??

Lincoln, AR |

I was drunk and fell asleep at the wheel. I wrecked my car into a ditch and totaled it. I got transported to the hospital but was alright, and I got charged with wreckless driving and a DWI. I need advice on what to do next.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Absolutely. Call the Arkansas Bar Association or look on AVVO for a DUI attorney admitted to practice in Arkansas.

    The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

  2. It certainly wasn't "wreckless driving" if you "totaled" your car.

    As you are facing criminal charges, you certainly need a criminal defense attorney. Cal the AR and county bar associations for referrals to qualified counsel.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  3. I'm an Arkansas DWI attorney. As the other attorneys have said, the answer is "yes." It is highly advisable that you hire a qualified DWI attorney. Assuming that you did not confess to being intoxicated (and even if you did, sometimes), you could have a winnable case. Accident cases (especially significant ones) are hard for the state to successfully prosecute sometimes because signs of intoxication often mirror signs of trauma. It is the state's burden to prove that any of your signs of impairment were caused by alcohol/drugs, not the wreck. It is not clear from your question whether a chemical sample was taken from you to obtain a BAC reading, but that may be successfully attacked as well with a qualified DWI attorney.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics