Do i need a lawyer for fleeing the scene of an accident?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hampton, VA

no other vehicles involved just property damage

1. James Lawrence Magazine

7

Answered . I highly recommend contacting an attorney in your local area for this matter.

Jim

2. John Weber III

Pro

5

Answered . Fleeing the scene of an accident can be charged as a crime. It is a criminal case and therefore carries the possibility that you could face jail time if convicted. Because of that possibility, you should be represented by a lawyer.

3. Michael Ryan Juarez

6

Answered . Yes. For small bumps like backing into a car in a parking lot or while parallel parking leaving a note with your contact information may be sufficient. However if there was major property damage, anything over $100, there may have been a police report filed and a subsequent search for your vehicle. Contact an attorney to determine how you should proceed.

4. Gary A Kester

6

Answered . If they (authorities or the property owner) you will likely need an attorney. If you had insurance you should be mindful that the failure to report the accident and damage could, and likely would, result in a denial of coverage or a reservation of rights.