Skip to main content

Do i need a lawyer for fleeing the scene of an accident?

Hampton, VA |

no other vehicles involved just property damage

Attorney Answers 4


I highly recommend contacting an attorney in your local area for this matter.


Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


Yes. For small bumps like backing into a car in a parking lot or while parallel parking leaving a note with your contact information may be sufficient. However if there was major property damage, anything over $100, there may have been a police report filed and a subsequent search for your vehicle. Contact an attorney to determine how you should proceed.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


If they (authorities or the property owner) you will likely need an attorney. If you had insurance you should be mindful that the failure to report the accident and damage could, and likely would, result in a denial of coverage or a reservation of rights.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Fleeing the scene of an accident can be charged as a crime. It is a criminal case and therefore carries the possibility that you could face jail time if convicted. Because of that possibility, you should be represented by a lawyer.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics