Do I need a lawyer for child support hearing?

Asked over 4 years ago - Bayshore, NY

I already have my court date and I wonder if its better to have a lawyer with me. My son's father has paid nothing except for about 8-10 voluntary child support checks in which 2 bounced other then that hes paid nothing.

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . When the ex is not following court orders, it is helpful to have a lawyer raise technical issues with the court, which may not be known to a lay person. NYS favors mothers and their children, but most non paying non custodial parents hire lawyers to help them so it makes sense for the mother to do the same. FYI my partner James DeFelice practices family law in your part of NYS and may be able to help you.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

New York City: A Guide to the Courts……………………………………..

Divorce in General and How It's Handled in New Jersey
    Financial Dos and Don'ts after a Divorce (written by Attorney Gabriel Cheong)
    US law on parental kidnapping: Please see 28 USC s. 1738……………………

FYI my law partner James DeFelice practices family law in your part of NYS. You can access his contact information on his avvo profile or on our firm’s website: www.sarnoanddefelice.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

2. Carlos Gonzalez

Pro

Answered . YES! always best, and in NY yo uare not entitled to a court appointed attorney on support cases so meet with an attorney as soon as possible! feel free to contact our office if you need further assistance with this matter