Do I need a lawyer for car accident ?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

I was tboned and my truck rolled. I had to be cut out of the truck and was in the hospital for 3 days with 10 broken ribs. I lost pay and all of my sick days. Since the accident I have been going to a chiropractor for treatment. Also because of the accident I have had problems with my jaw and have had to have a bridge to support a tooth that was damaged. The driver of the other car was given a ticket because he ran a red light.

1. Jeffrey David Wolf

14

1

Answered . Yes. It makes sense for you to get an attorney. The attorney will need to determine the amount of insurance coverage available from the other driver's insurance company and also from your own underinsured motorist coverage, if you have some. Then, you will need to determine the full extent of your injuries. Remember that once you settle, you will not be able to ask for further compensation even if your injuries turn out to be more significant than you originally thought. That is why many insurance carriers send out adjusters to speak with accident victims to try to get them to settle the case immediately. It makes sense to speak with an attorney before speaking with the other driver's insurance company.

2. Asmik Jasmine Gevorkyan

13

Answered . You need a Lawyer. You should contact a local Lawyer for a free consultation.

Jasmine Gevorkyan
    (818) 497-8565 Free Consultations

3. Norman Gregory Fernandez

Pro

12

Answered . Of course you need a lawyer; that is unless you want to get screwed by the insurance company. If insurance companies just willy nilly paid out money to people such as yourself, there would be no need for personal injury attorneys.

They may try to sucker you into accepting a small amount of money but is almost all cases, it will be less then you could get with an attorney.

My law firm handles car accident cases all over the state of California. You can read about these cases at http://www.thepersonalinjury.com . If you want to discuss your case, you may call me for a free consultation at 800-816-1529 x. 1.

4. Deborah Barron

11

Answered . A consultation with a personal injury attorney is free, so you should make an appointment as soon as possible as they can advise you on a number of issues you must deal with after an accident. Visit my website for advise on what to do after an accident and feel free to contact me for more assistance. 800-529-5908.

5. Joel Jay Kofsky

12

Answered . Yes, get a lawyer! But also consider getting an MD rather than a chiro!

http://www.phillyinjurylawyer.com/

6. Gordon Ralph Levinson

10

Answered . Studies have now proved that claims asserted by attorneys settle for an average of 50% higher than the claims asserted by non-attorneys. It's a no-brainer. Get a lawyer!

7. Charles Owen Geerhart

8

Answered . Probably, but you should find out what the other driver's insurance policy limits are-- if they are $15K, or even $25K, the carrier may just simply pay them (and you incur no attorney's fees). Then you can claim on your own underinsured motorist insurance.

Chuck Geerhart 415-498-2101
    SF, CA

8. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

7

Answered . I would recommend that you talk to a personal injury attorney and seek representation. I represent people in these types of cases on a regular basis. I would be happy to meet with you and give you a free consultation. My phone number is 650-787-6946. It sounds like you have a good case and I would be happy to assist you. I live in San Jose and could meet with you in San Jose at your convenience as early as tomorrow if you are interested.

9. Slavik Steve Leydiker

7

Answered . You should absolutely hire an attorney to maximize whatever claim you have against the person who hit you. This is really a no brainer. Do not deal with the insurer on your own.

10. Mitchell Stewart Lipkin

8

Answered . You will likely need an experienced attorney, since you will not know the value of your case,
    and how to negotiate with the defendant's insurance company.

11. John Noah Kitta

5

Answered . You have had quite a number of responses from capable legal counsel. I would like to point out a few things to you that have not been previously mentioned. One, you absolutely need a lawyer. Insurance reps are trained professionals and what they are trained to do is pay little or nothing on claims. That's how they get their promotions and raises in their employment. You should use best efforts to not directly communicate with the insurance carrier. Have all communications go through the law firm's office. We can deal with all their attempted manipulations. Do not give them any statements. Let it all go through the law firm. Also, if the lawyer is very experienced in personal injury, he or she will have a good idea where this case is headed in regard to settlement based upon what insurance company that we are dealing with.

John N. Kitta
    Fremont, CA
    510-797-7990

12. Robert Bruce Kopelson

5

Answered . I have been in practice in San jose for 34 years. As repeated in the other answers, you should not deal with the ins co on your own. They are supposed to pay as little as possible to settle cases. That is the job of the adjuster. many will be nice to the claimant to establish "claimant Control," which means they keep the person from contacting an atty to protect their rights.

There are things that you should be doing early on and other things you shouldnt do all right from the get go. these things can come back to haunt you later in the case.

Attorneys like me give free consultations, and take cases on contingency, which means you dont owe anything unless we resolve the claim, and then it is a percentage.

Robert Kopelson 408-293-4000

13. Brian Anthony Carness

5

Answered . Remember this, insurance companies are good at 2 things: collecting premiums and denying claims. Yes, you should hire an attorney. They insurance company already has a team of lawyers working against you. You should have at least one attorney fighting on your side.