Do I need a lawyer for an Identity theft case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oviedo, FL

If you have an issue with identity theft with a company opening an account and issued an credit-card without any authorized signature . What to do?

Additional information

Also you never received any info on the account until you found out when checking you credit report and called the company. the company also said they will look into the matter and close the account and remove it from your name because its fraud, but its been over the time limit.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Answered . You need to meet with a consumer attorney and bring to them what paperwork/correspondence you have received from the credit card company. I would also recommend running a credit check with the three major credit reporting agencies to determine if this line of credit has been reported and is damaging your credit score. You can find consumer attorneys in your area at

    This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.
  2. Answered . I am sorry to hear of your troubles. As a previous victim of identity theft, I have some idea what you are going through at this time. I have also been involved in hundreds of hours of litigation with the credit bureaus and obtained a multimillion dollar jury verdict against Equiifax so I have considerable experience with this problem. See

    You should file a police report if you have not done so already. In my experience, I have not seen a high priority to prosecute identity thieves. If there is a prosecution, the court has authority to issue orders to correct public records. See Section 817.568(9)(b), Fla. Stat.

    You should review your credit reports ASAP. It would probably be a good idea to review your credit report prepared by Equifax, Trans Union, Experian and Innovis. You can get the first three so for free once a year by calling 877-322-8228. It is a lot simpler and quicker than jumping through all the hoops on the internet and you do not risk mistakenly agreeing to waive your right to a jury trial by arbitration. Please be sure to stay on the line until you have ordered all three reports. You can order your free copy of your Innovis report by calling 1-800-540-2505.

    If there are errors on your credit report, you should consider disputing with the credit bureaus who claim you owe a debt. You should be as detailed as possible. Hopefully, that will take care of the problem or at least help. Because you have advised that your case involves identity theft, you should file a police report and also complete a fraud affidavit from the FTC to submit to the credit bureaus along with your dispute. I strongly recommend that documents be sent to the credit bureaus rather than calling in your dispute or disputing online. In my experience, the credit bureaus take document disputes a little more seriously. If you do not dispute with the credit bureaus, it makes a case against the credit bureaus much more difficult. If you contact my office via email, I can provide a free instructional letter that helps you draft a dispute to the credit bureaus.

    You should request that the credit bureaus give you an EXTENDED fraud alert on your credit reports.

    If there are errors on your credit report, you should also dispute with the furnishers who claim you owe a debt. If you contact my office via email, I can provide a free debt validation letter. In your disputes, as set forth in my instructional letter, you should be as detailed as possible.

    If the credit bureau, creditor or debt collector writes back requesting more information, you should provide that to them even if it seems to be a stalling tactic or nonsense. If you do not, they will take the position in any litigation that you failed to mitigate your damages. Most judges and juries are going to expect you to use your best efforts to solve the problem.

    If after you dispute to the creditors and the credit bureaus, the debt collectors continue to try to collect the identity theft debt by sending you dunning letters or by placing or leaving items on your credit report, then you probably have a claim under Florida's Consumer Collection Practices Act and/or the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

    If this information has been helpful, please check the thumbs up tab below. Disclaimer: The above is intended to... more
  3. Answered . If you follow the creditors dispute procedures, submit a police report and an accompanying affidavit then you are entitled for the creditor to conduct an investigation. If the creditor finds that it is a fraudulent account that you did not open or authorize and did not confer a benefit, then you will be entitled to the deletion of all the reporting and that the collection efforts will stop. If you can accomplish this on your own, you may not need the assistance of an attorney. If the creditor is uncooperative or finds the investigation against your favor, you should consult with a consumer attorney for further assistance. You do have rights, you should not be held responsible for a fraudulent account.

    Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more info visit This is... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for fraud

Fraud is a white collar crime in which someone deceives another to secure unlawful or unfair benefits, such as financial or political gain.

Criminal charges for identity theft

Identity theft is using another person's identity in person, by mail, over the phone, or on the internet, with the intent to obtain information or assets.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now