Do I need a lawyer for a speeding ticket?

Asked over 1 year ago - Parsippany, NJ

It occurred in Weehawken and I was doing 46 in a 25. This is my first ticket in 6 years and I do not want to get any points.

1. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . Because of your clean record, you may likely be able to plead it down from a 4-point ticket to a 2-point ticket. You may not be able to obtain anything less than 2 points, unless you plead to an Unsafe Driving charge. That is an expensive plea. It costs hundreds of dollars more than pleading to a 2-point violation. In addition, it may not help you that much, if at all. The reason is that DMV (or NJMVC) points are different to Insurance company points. Many insurance companies look at your driving record over the three year period preceding any policy renewal. Two infractions committed during that period can raise your premiums even though they are considered no-point infractions by NJMVC. For example, if you get a cellphone ticket and plead to Unsafe Driving within the same consecutive three year period, you will have no points on your abstract yet your insurance company will increase your premiums at the next renewal. It is not uncommon for a policy to increase by as much as 25% or more. Check with your insurance company about their policies with respect to a charge of Unsafe Driving that appears on your record. If they consider it the same as a 2-point violation, then you're not any better off with the Unsafe Driving charge. The best deal you can hope for, which you will ABSOLUTELY need an attorney to negotiate for you, is to plead guilty to "obstructing traffic" or "delaying traffic". There are no points, and the fine plus court costs are less than $100. However, some judges do NOT allow prosecutors to make these deals. If that is the case in Weehawken, you're out of luck. Good luck to you. Hope this helps. You probably don't need a lawyer. However, feel free to call if you have further questions.

2. Jason T Komninos

4

Answered . That is a high rate of speed, especially for a 25 zone. In my past experiences, prosecutors and judges can be wary of speeds that excessive, especially in low-speed areas where the chance of hitting a pedestrian is higher than on the Turnpike, for example. Speeding by that much over the limit is more common on the Turnpike or Parkway than in towns like Weehawken, in my opinion.

3. Scott E. Feifer

Pro

5

Answered . You always maximize the chances of success with an attorney who appears in the court on a regular basis. Doesn't mean you must have one but if you're looking to cover all your bases...

4. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

3

Answered . I suggest you go alone the first time. The prosecutor will probably downgrade it. In my experience, this doesn't need an attorney.

5. James Alexander Abate

Pro

3

Answered . In order to get to zero points, you are going to need a lawyer for that speed.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  6. Mark M Cheser

Pro

3

Answered . The general rule (it is not a rule just experience) is that a person can get a 2 point reduction on their own and an attorney can do 2 points better. In Weehawken that is not always the case but an attorney will almost always do 2 points better than you can yourself. That said you may not want a 0 point ticket since the only one available is 4-97.2 and that has a $39 fine. A 2 pointer will usually be between $180 and $250 and the attorney’s fee will likely be more than the difference. But call with more information.

7. Alan James Brinkmeier

3

Answered . Yes