Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer for a car accident after the other drivers insurance took responsibility but now have changed their minds?

Ephraim, UT |

After being rear ended while stopped the other drivers insurance took 100 % responsibility. But after they obtained a police report that is stating a witness who saw things different is now offering 75% responsibility. We have a time line with evidence supporting the witness must be mistaken. We are preparing to go to city court after receiving a ticket but have not sign any thing with insurance company. What are our options? Thank you

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Insurance companies are in the business of minimizing claims payouts. They try to come up with "inventive" arguments as to why their insured is not 100% at fault. Retain an attorney in UT.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.

  2. I agree that insurance companies try to minimize their pay out. It looks like you live in Ephraim. If you call our South Jordan, Utah, office, we can explain more over the phone.

    The items I discussed above are for information and not to be relied upon. You should talk with an attorney.

  3. I agree to get an attorney who may be able to make an argument to deal with the comparative negligence. Bottom line is you need an attorney.

  4. I would take up Attorney Butler’s offer and call their office.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  5. Give Mr. Butler a call.

  6. It's too bad that insurance companies are treating you like this. You definitely need to speak with a good attorney who deals with this type of thing daily. You should also consider getting representation for your criminal case regarding the ticket. Feel free to contact me as well. Good luck.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice. It is general information. Further, this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to obtain legal advice or enter into an attorney-client relationship, please contact me at 801-788-4122 or email at

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics