Do I need a lawyer for a "stipulated polygraph"?

Indianapolis, IN |

I was told about, and asked to participate in, some criminal conduct that a person said he was going to engage in, and I reported the facts to authorities.

Ultimately, I was asked by police to take a "stipulated polygraph." I was told that it would purportedly prevent the person who told me about what criminal activity that he wanted to do, and had asked me to participate in, from trying to impeach me in criminal court proceedings, which, to my knowledge, neither had been, or have been filed against him.

I read about "stipulated polygraph(s)" and, to me, they are used against the person who takes this exam, and not a third party, unless the third party consented, in writing, to have the "stipulated polygraph" results admitted in court.

Can anyone make sense of this? Do I need a lawyer?

1. I would absolutely talk to a lawyer. It is unlikely that this would do anything but hurt you. Hope this helps

2. This doesn't entirely make sense but my warning hackles are up. If you are going to cooperate with the authorities in this matter it would a good idea to have an attorney involved who can bring the prosecutor on board, since only the prosecutor can make binding commitments and, without such a commitment you are in danger of being double-crossed.

3. The only reason the police would want you to take a polygraph examination is because they suspect you of some criminal act. A polygraph is NOT admissible as evidence, and you receive no benefit from taking one; if the police think you're guilty, they will still arrest you even if you "pass".

Hire an attorney and stop talking to the police.