Do I need a lawyer at a child support hearing?

Prince George, VA |

My son's father has temporary physical custody of our son. He went to court and file papers for me to pay him child support. I take care of my son but my childs father states I'm not doing enough. I work to support myself and son. Childs father makes 75,000 a year and I make 23,000 a year. I've only been working 3 months now. I'm trying to get on my feet so I can get my son back. Childs father states he's getting back at me cause I placed him on child support a year ago.

1. There really isn't a huge reason to have an attorney at a purely support hearing since support is statutorily calculated, but it's not a bad idea. You can easily determine what the support order would be beforehand and, frankly, you have no basis for arguing against a support order. Since he has ordered custody, he is entitled to child support from you regardless of your disparity in income.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. I would advise meeting with an attorney beforehand - if there are no unique issues, then perhaps you don't. If there is any question as to income (i.e. imputation), arrears, or any other issue, you definitely will want to have representation.

Child custody topics