Do i need a lawyer

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

warrant was issued for me in Lee County for failure to appear in court. Someone using my name commited a petty theft in Lee county got a citation but was not arrested, I live in Fort Lauderdale, got stop for a traffic ticket and got arrested, never been in Lee County and don't own a car.

1. Grant Ian Schwarz

Pro

6

Answered . I would recommend hiring an attorney to assist you through this process. The attorney would likely be able to help you avoid having to drive to Lee County, which is a pretty far drive from Fort Lauderdale. This is something that you want to get taken care of as soon as possible. Good Luck.

2. Keith Robert Hall

Pro

7

Answered . It sounds like you have been the victim of identity theft. You will definitely need the assistance of a qualified criminal defense lawyer to assist you in getting out of this trouble. They may be able to show that you were not present at the time of the arrest or crime, and could possibly get the charges dismissed pre-trial. Often times the prosecutor and police will assume you are making this up to get out of trouble, so you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible before any evidence that could be helpful to you is erased or disappears.

3. Marcus Donnell Norman

6

Answered . This is a classic case of identity theft. You need to consult with an attorney who regularly practices in Lee County. The prosecutor's office may request an affidavit from you and you may be required to file a police report of your own to document the fact that someone else is using your identity. If you have a copy of a police report you are establishing evidence that you are the victim of someone else's conduct.

4. Eric Matthew Matheny

4

Answered . It would be wise to retain an attorney to help you sort this mess out. Otherwise, you're going to be lost figuring out what to do, who to call, and what to say. Lawyers can sometimes cut through the red tape a little better than lay people can.

5. Michael Douglas Shafer

5

Answered . It's identity theft. Call a few criminal defense attorneys around town It should not cost anything for a consult.

6. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

5

Answered . Yes you need an attorney, immediately.

7. Andrew Michael Bonderud

2

Answered . You need an attorney... ideally, one who lives and works in Lee County.