Do I need a Lawyer? Minor, first time offense, shoplifting

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Me and 3 other people stole 3 pairs of hedphones and protein (totalling around $150-$200) from shoppers drug mart recently and today police came to my friends door with surveillance pictures of us stealing. They said we ll must go to the police station tomorrow at 7. If we fail to show up we with be charged with theft. I had 2 headphones and the protein in my bag and the other pair of headphones were in my friends bag. We're planning on telling the truth and giving the stuff back tomorrow. We are all first time offenders and we have never been so scared in our lives.

1. 2

Answered . I would go with an attorney. You are on the right track wanting to return the items but need to negotiate the terms.

2. 2

Answered . It is in your best interest to speak to a criminal attorney before going to the precinct.

3. 2

Answered . It is not minor. You will be charged with a Class A misdemeanor. Retain a criminal defense lawyer and do not discuss the case with the police because those statements will be used against you.