Do I need a lawyer? how much money am I paying? am I going to jail/any juvenile thing? is it going to be on my record as a dui?

Asked 5 months ago - Parsippany, NJ

hello, I'm 17 years old and live in new jersey. I recently got into a car accident and do not have a license. moreover, the car is 100% unfixable and I drove into the state fence. after the accident, they took me to the hospital and took an urine test and I failed because I smoked week that week. furthermore, the policeman gave me 2 tickets, one for careless driving and the other one for not having a license.

1. John Thomas Doyle

8

Answered . You definitely should retain a lawyer. You are facing DUI charges as well as the other traffic offenses. Your attorney can raise the proper defenses.

2. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

7

Answered . I agree with the answers of my distinguished colleagues. You must retain an experienced DUI attorney. This is not something to try to handle on your own. Good luck.

3. Mark M Cheser

7

Answered . You may get a juvenile charge in the mail for being under the influence. A DWI may come in the mail too. All the moving violations likely will be heard in Municipal Court. However if they charge the criminal charge it should all go to juvenile court. There is an argument that the urine could be suppressed if they did not get consent or a warrant. You can apply for the PD. But the PD only works one court. Therefore a private attorney is better. Call aeround for the costs we cannot discuss fees on AVVO.

4. Sonja R Porter

8

Answered . 1. Hire a lawyer.
    2. cost? depends on the lawyer in #1.
    3. depends on the court. Refer to #1.
    4. depends on how you're charged. Refer to #1.

This information is for general information purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  5. Douglas Wayne Jones Jr

5

Answered . Retain an attorney immediately. You may be facing DWI charges soon as well as the other motor vehicle charges. Even if convicted, you will not go to jail, but you will be facing very serious fines and a loss of your ability to get a license.

6. Roderick Carlos Lopez

Pro

6

Answered . Hire a lawyer. You need to look at the tickets to see what charges are against you. If they are just traffic citations and nothing else, it is unlikely you are going to jail.

Seek legal help.

7. Kevin H. Pate

6

Answered . You have more than enough going on that you need to have counsel representing your interests in all of your respective trouble areas.

8. Valarie A McNeice

Pro

2

Answered . If you get charged as a juvenile, you will be appointed an attorney who will be familiar with the juvenile court and able to give you sound legal advice. Do not drive without a license while these matters are pending.