Do i need a lawyer? Chances of getting the charges dropped? Is there any way I wont have to appear in court?

Louisville, KY |

I recently visited Louisville KY and am from a different state. My friends and I went out for drinks that night and got pretty intoxicated. Somehow I got separated from the group and took a wrong town back to the hotel and wound up in a sketchy part of town. At some point I got jumped by 2 individuals and lost my phone, wallet, and all identification. After i regained consciousness I walked to the first house that had lights on to ask for help and instead they called the cops. When the cops arrived I was taking into custody for trespassing 2nd, and public intoxication. I was given a court date and was wondering what the chances would be to get these charges dropped since I only knocked on the door to call for help, and is there any way I wont have to appear in court since i live 8 hrs away

You need to hire a criminal defense attorney in Louisville, KY. You can waive your appearance and the lawyer can settle the case in your absence. This will save you the return trip and 16 hours travel and expenses. The lawyer may be able to get the case dismissed on credit time served. The statutes are below:

Current through 2012 First Extraordinary Session

§ 511.070. Criminal trespass in the second degree

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building or upon premises as to which notice against trespass is given by fencing or other enclosure.

(2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a Class B misdemeanor.

Cite as KRS 511.070

History. Effective: January 1, 1975
Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 102, effective January 1, 1975.

§ 525.100. Public intoxication

(1) A person is guilty of public intoxication when he appears in a public place manifestly under the influence of a controlled substance, or other intoxicating substance, excluding alcohol (unless the alcohol is present in combination with any of the above), not therapeutically administered, to the degree that he may endanger himself or other persons or property, or unreasonably annoy persons in his vicinity.

(2) Public intoxication is a Class B misdemeanor.

Cite as KRS 525.100

History. Effective: July 1, 1986
Amended 1986 Ky. Acts ch. 336, sec. 9, effective July 1, 1986. -- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 220, effective January 1, 1975.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Great answer

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Thanks, counsel.

Do not ignore this. Retain an experienced criminal defense attorney in the county where you were charged. The attorney should be able to resolve this mess for you. Good luck.