Do I need a lawyer? I have paid premiums and had my claims paid, but am being told I wasn't eligible for the benefits.

Asked about 1 year ago - Livonia, MI

I had Tricare Reserve Select insurance during my time as a Michigan National Guard Member. I seperated willingly and Honorably last year. I continued to pay my Tricare premiums and continued to have my insurance claims paid by Tricare. I found out recently that upon my separation, my old unit should have submitted paperwork through the state to tricare to show that I was no longer eligible.(I thought I was eligible after separating and was never told anything different.) The Tricare/Deers office has told me that if they receive paperwork from the state showing that I have not been eligible for a year then they will refund me my premiums and force me to pay any claims. We're talking several MRIs, x-rays, a birth, etc. Am I royally screwed? 100,000$ +

Pro

3

Answered . Have a local insurance lawyer investigate.

2. Samuel Cohen

2

Answered . You need an insurance attorney. Contact your local veteran's group office and get a recommendation.

3. Robert E. Harris Jr.

Answered . Yes you are. It's your suggestion that you may need an attorney's assistance, I'd follow that unless you have a better idea. Indeed, the other Avvo attorneys have made some valuable contributions in their posts.

4. Tatiana Kadetskaya

1

Answered . Your insurance attorney will investigate the case and will be able to help you.

5. Wendy D. Calvert

1

Answered . I would agree with my colleagues that you should consider contacting the VA for assistance and consulting with local counsel HOWEVER, I would also strongly encourage you to consider reaching out to the insurance commissioner in your state and even the attorney generals office to see if they can provide some insight and assistance.