Do I need a lawyer ? Car accident.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jackson, TN

I was involved in a car accident and it was not my fault. I had back and neck injuries and a concussion.But I do not want to end up with nothing after the doctors and lawyers are paid.

1. Donald Arthur Woodbine

9

Answered . Statistically, you could receive approximately 4 times more money than you would if you tried to deal with the insurance company yourself. Insurance companies are aware that you are not experienced in this matter, and they will try to convince you to accept the minimum amount for recovery. Most attorneys charge contingency fees (typically about 30 - 40%) and they will keep the bill collectors off your back for the duration of your case. It is the policy of most personal injury attorneys not to charge more for legal fees than you actually receive from the settlement / trial. It is just a matter of taking the time to look for a good attorney in your area (through client reviews or friends / family referrals). Good luck to you.

2. Matthew Charles Hardin

Pro

7

Answered . You definitely need to hire an attorney. There are many excellent attorneys listed on AVVO for you to choose from. You also need to put your own car insurance company on notice and then hire an attorney to help you. Typically attorneys charge 1/3 for fees and are only paid if they are successful.

3. Stephen Alan Sauer

Pro

7

Answered . Attorneys who handle personal injuries/car accident cases typically take them on a contingency fee basis. This means they only get paid if and when they make a recovery for you. Out of that money, your medical bills should be paid, the attorney should be paid and you should receive the balance. If you hire a reputable attorney, there is no reason you should receive nothing after paying the doctors and lawyer. I do strongly suggest you talk to a lawyer before talking to the insurance company. Remember, the insurance company makes money by not paying you or paying you as little as possible. If you hire an attorney, it's in your best interest and the attorney's best interest to get you as much as possible since the attorney's fee is based on how much he recovers for you. Regardless, in Tennessee you have one year to either settle your claim or protect it from the Statute of Limitations by filing a lawsuit. If you wait beyond a year, your claim will likely be barred by law.

4. Joyce J. Sweinberg

Pro

8

Answered . Get an attorney to handle this for you. If you try to handle it yourself, you might end with less than nothing...

Pro

8

Answered . Without a lawyer, you will either get #1. no money or #2. a nuisance settlement. Retain a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you are left with the lion's share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Good luck to you, and feel better.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Kevin Coluccio

7

Answered . There are many good lawyers that we maximize your recovery. You should look on the AVVO site for an attorney in your community. You should then meet with the lawyer to discuss your concerns and what can be done on your behalf.

7. Lisa Douglas

Pro

7

Answered . I highly recommend obtaining an attorney in your state.

8. Jacob Charles Boswell

7

Answered . I would agree with all of my colleagues. Call and get a consultation with an attorneys office right away!

9. Jeffrey Mark Adams

6

Answered . Stop listening to the insurance company. Serious cases require serious attorneys

10. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

5

Answered . You will generally be better off in all ways, including the bottom line, by hiring a good personal injury attorney. At a minimum, you should take advantage of a free consultation so that you can get an assessment of your rights, options and prospective recovery.

11. Nathan Zale Dowlen

3

Answered . As a former insurance injury claim adjuster and now attorney, I whole heartily agree with the previous answers. There's a myth out there, that injury cases are easy to handle and you can effortlessly "do it yourself". Nothing could be further from the truth. Tennessee has one of the shortest statutes of limitations in the country. Also, you may have to deal with the subrogation interests of other insurance carriers. Often, there are doctor bills coming from doctors that you didn't even know saw you or participated in your care. So, I recommend you find a lawyer in your area today and stop trying to handle this on your own.

12. Matthew E. Wright

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. A concussion can suggest a very serious injury. I don't want to needlessly alarm you but a concussion is a form of mild traumatic brain injury (mtbi). Although I don't know if you blacked out, even if you didn't you may suffer symptoms that can affect your memory, behavior and mood. This happens because the brain can move within the skull during a collision. A good lawyer lawyer can advise you on the likely settlement value based on your injuries. It is important you get medical treatment and don't settle too early. Sometimes, it can take a while to determine if your concussion will have long-lasting effects. The insurance company will want you to settle early so they won't have to compensate you fairly later if you do have injuries. You are also welcome to check my profile on this website and see my blog on brain injuries for more information that may be useful to you.