Do i need a lawer for a ticket that send me to court for having a suspendedregistration? Please look at the details.

Asked over 1 year ago - New Brunswick, NJ

My car was parked at my house since i couldnt drive it , in the mean time i was driving my fathers car. I have fixed all registration problems and my car is in good shape to be driven again , but i still need to go to court , please help me

The car was parked in my House parking lot when i got the ticket

1. James Alexander Abate

Pro

4

Answered . Suspended license and suspended registration offenses are some of the most serious traffic offenses with penalties that include further suspensions and mandatory jail time for third time offenders. The best way to avoid becoming a third offender is to never get a first conviction. There are many ways to end up suspended and many ways to defend these cases. I very much suggest you hire a lawyer.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  2. Yolanda Navarrete

2

Answered . It is good that you have all documents up-to-date. It sounds like you may have a defense as well. It is important to request "discovery" from police to review your best course of action.

3. Steven Todd Keppler

2

Answered . If you received a summons for an expired registration, you must answer for it. What you need to decide is whether it's worth fighting the ticket outright, trying to get the prosecutor to reduce the violation, or to just pay it and be done with it. If you choose option #3, then you can pay the fine on line .

If you want to choose either of the other two options, you may want to consult with an attorney. You may have a defense to the ticket relating to why the officer was observing a parked car at a residence. I'd have to see the discovery to tell whether that is valid or not.

4. Mark M Cheser

2

Answered . A suspended registration charge is very serious, $500 fine and up to 6 months loss of license plus a $250/year for three year surcharge. But the statute is operating with a suspended registration. If it was parked you likely (but not always) were not operating the vehicle. A lesser charge can likely be negotiated or the case dismissed. An experienced criminal defense attorney can better accomplish these goals.