Skip to main content

Do i need a joint sponsor for affidavit of support?

Hammond, IN |

i did not file taxes in 2012 because i was in China studying kungfu full time at an academy since April of 2012 and im still currently enrolled,but if i go back to my last 3 years of taxes that i filed,i made over 20,000 in 2009, 2010 and 2011.,we got maried march of 2013.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, based on the facts as listed here you do.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


First, I changed the practice area for your question because it's an immigration law question, not a tax law question even though you are mentioning tax returns and income earned.

Second, if you have more than 2 people in your household, you will need a co-sponsor. Under the 2013 guidelines, a two person household needs a minimum of $19,400 annual income. Based on what you've provided, you squeak by. To be safe, you should consider valuating any assets you have (less any debt owed) to boost this number. It'd be worthwhile to talk with an immigration attorney so you can get more specific information for your particular situation.




You should talk to an attorney. If you do not have sufficient income the last year you would need a joint sponsor. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St, Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer