Skip to main content

Do I need a I601 waiver in my case?

Mobile, AL |

I got married with a U.S citizen 2 years ago when I was on F-1. We just filed our adjustment of status paperwork last month. However, before we receive any receipt from the USCIS, I went out of status as F-1. (kick out of school due to low grades).

So will I need a I601 waiver to prove hardship if my green card is denied due to the fact I get kick out of college?

Attorney Answers 3


As long as you haven't departed the US since you legally entered on your F-1 visa, marriage to a US citizen will result in you being forgiven for falling out of student status. An immigration lawyer will be of great assistance to you. -- -- Senior Legal Counsel -- Capriotti International Law -- Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Contact the American Immigration Lawyers Association for a referral to an experienced immigration attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


bad grades is not a reason for a waiver.

Mark as helpful


You do not need a waiver in this case. We would be happy to help you
See link below for info on the process

For more immigration info, please see

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics